High taxes on tobacco products are a proven way to reduce tobacco use especially among youth. The current federal cigarette tax is $1.01 per pack, and the current average state cigarette tax is $1.53 per pack. One state, Vermont, has increased its cigarette tax in 2014.
- Factsheet on State Cigarette Taxes
- Map of State Cigarette Taxes by Range
- Map of State Cigarette Tax Rates
- State Cigarette Taxes by Amount and State
- Amount of Revenue Collected by States from Cigarette Taxes in FY2012 -
(July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012 for most states)
- See your State’s Tobacco Taxes
- See how your state measures up
Looking for more information on federal tobacco taxes? Check out these factsheets from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
Questions? Please contact us.