High taxes on tobacco products are a proven way to reduce tobacco use especially among youth. The current federal cigarette tax is $1.01 per pack, and the current average state cigarette tax is $1.49 per pack. Two states, Illinois and Rhode Island increased their cigarette taxes in 2012.
- Factsheet on State Cigarette Taxes
- Map of State Cigarette Taxes by Range
- Map of State Cigarette Tax Rates
- State Cigarette Taxes by Amount and State
- Amount of Revenue Collected by States from Cigarette Taxes in FY2009 -
(July 1, 2008 to June 30, 2009 for most states)
- See your State’s Tobacco Taxes
- See how your state measures up
Looking for more information on federal tobacco taxes? Check out these factsheets from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
Questions? Please contact us.